Study Kit for Apology Preparation
At the Annual Meeting of the Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, Swan River, Manitoba 2014, an apology was made to women who had to leave the employ of the United Church because they got married. Following are resources related to this.
These resources can be used for worship and education.
Service at Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, May 24, 2014 (Video) Please note: the sound cuts out when the video “Disjoining Deaconesses” begins. To hear all of the sound track see on this page below where a full version is available. To follow along with the Order of Service, including the words to the hymns, see it just below.)
Order of Service May 24, 2014 (Set to print as booklet on 8.5 x 11 paper)
Stories of Women in Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario (new May 2014) This is a version to read on line, see below for higher resolution version set to print as a booklet.
Stories of Women in Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario (new May 2014) (Set to print as a booklet, back to back, on 8.5 x 14 paper)
Study Resources Developed for MNWO period of preparation for 2014 Apology
- Leader’s Guide
- Background Paper for an Apology to United Church Deaconesses and Ordained Women
- Hymn: For all the Saints (Words only); For All the Saints Powerpoint with images
- Theological Themes and Apology
- Gender Injustice in the United Church Stories
- Images of Apology Reflection Instructions (The images for this activity are below, click on them to view them, after opening right click to copy image or save image, or, download this Powerpoint presentation.)
- Foot Washing Image for Upload (See Original Image)
- Two people embracing Image for Upload
- Woman with writing Image for Upload
- Wire and water Image for Upload
- Two people at communion Image for Upload
- Rice Harvest Statue A for Upload (suggested is to use Image A and follow it with Rice Harvest Statue B Image), the second image was taken after an International Women’s Day Action, the original sign is in Spanish)
- Holy Matrimony ~ Unholy Disjoining DVD (See below for description and to view).
- Disjoining Deaconesses Video (See below for description and to view.)
- 2003 General Council Motions directing the Apology
- 2005 Background Paper written by Mary Anne MacFarlane
- 2006 Service of Apology, General Council Executive
- 2006 Coming Round to Ourselves, Sermon by Elizabeth Eberhart Moffatt from General Council Executive Apology
- 2006 Response to Apology by Wilma (Cade) Unwin at General Council Executive Apology
- Compilation of Background Paper, Service of Apology, Sermon and Response above
- 2006 April Letter sent to CCS graduates from General Council inviting them to self identify and to Executive Apology
- 2009 Letter to Joan Davies Sandy from the Moderator expressing apology
- 2006 Manitou Conference Service of Apology to Disjoined Women
- 2007 London Conference Service including Apology to Disjoined Women
Other Worship Resources
- 2006 Sermon Sue Taylor, First United Church, Ottawa
- 2006 Marriage or Ministry? Two part series by Caryn Douglas and Marion Kirkwood, Tapestry, Centre for Christian Studies
- 2010 Lost Opportunity by Caryn Douglas, Diaconal News, Diakonia of the United Church Newsletter
Holy Matrimony Unholy Disjoining Produced by Caryn Douglas This 30 minute video explores the United Church Apology to United Church Deaconesses affected by the Disjoining Rule. It features the 4 women (see above) who attended the Service of Apology in 2006.
Disjoining Deaconesses Produced by Caryn Douglas, Artwork by Aileen Urquhart, Music Ian Cherry, Photograpy Duncan McNairnay This 4 minute video introduces United Church Deaconesses and the Disjoining Rule.
For a DVD copy of the videos contact email@example.com.
A Story of Lost Opportunity: The Apology To Deaconesses Disjoined By The United Church Of Canada, Caryn Douglas, Doctor of Ministry Thesis, 2009
This thesis tells the story of the removal of United Church of Canada Deaconesses from ministry when they married and examines the apology given to these women by the United Church in 2006. The study explores the development of the biblical and theological history limiting women’s vocational choices. It traces the enactment of disjoining in the Deaconess Order with an emphasis on the period of the 1950s and 60s as the rule disappears. Remembrances and reflections of women who were disjoined during this period enflesh the archival records. They tell stories of lost opportunity. A theological framework of eight stages is applied to assess the success of the apology in attaining the goal of a true conversion of heart.
Disjoined Women: United Church Deaconesses Affected by a Marriage Bar, Caryn Douglas, 2011
This paper presented to Canadian Society for Church History, May 2011, and published in the proceedings gives an overview of the history and affects of the disjoining of United Church Deaconesses when they married. Stories of women who experienced disjoining are told.